Lots of riding = lots of fun when it comes to enjoying your Segway Personal Transporter (PT).
Lots of riding will also lead to the rubber Handlebar Grips eventually wearing out, so these will need to be replaced. Recently we wrote about replacing worn tyres – see our article Get a better grip! that is illustrated with photos of tyres worn below safe remaining tread.
There are three types of handlebar grip wear:
(1) the rubber is worn until it is mostly smooth, with little in the way of tread pattern remaining to offer grip for palms and fingers.
(2) the rubber grip slips and rotates around the steel handlebar (it should be tight, and not move at all).
(3) the rubber has become sticky and icky to the touch.
If you can’t grip securely, or the grip rotates, then you’ll have difficulty keeping safe control of the Segway PT during sharp turns and when braking – especially in urgent situations when every split-second of reaction time and accurate control are essential. Worn or slipping grips are dangerous, and should be replaced without delay.
Replacement Handlebar Grips are in stock now for $40+GST per pair, plus shipping. Simply slide off the worn grips and plus on the new replacements. Actually, there’s a little trick to make it super-easy to get the new pair on nice and tight….just ask us.
If the steel pipe of your Handlebar is bent, then you can purchase a replacement Handlebar with Grips for $80+GST, plus shipping. A bent handlebar is very difficult to straighten, because the metal pipe usually just breaks as you bend it back into shape. And even if you succeed, it is always going to be weakened….and no one wants to be in control of a vehicle with a dodgy steering system, right?
Your Segway PT’s foot Mats should be replaced eventually, too. There are two signs of wear:
(1) The most common is the rubber surface becomes hardened and slippery, no longer providing a grippy surface for your feet or footwear. A lack of grip makes riding unsafe, especially over rough surfaces or at high speed.
(2) Another sign of wear is the mats no longer stay firmly in place, because the front/rear lips have thinned or split/torn preventing a firm hold between the front/rear trim and chassis. Whatever the reason, if your mats no longer press in firmly and stay in place, or are easily kicked our or dislodged during mounting/dismounting then replace them immediately.
Replacement Rubber Mats mats are $125+GST per pair, plus shipping.
How about pimping your ride with Aluminium Mats, $155+GST per pair, plus shipping. Not quite as compliant to ride on as the standard rubber mats, they sure look cool!
For the best ride possible upgrade to Comfort Mats, at $195+GST per pair. This thick, closed cell rubber mat fits all Segway i2 SE, x2 SE, i2 and x2 models. They are also included with every Segway Patroller model as a standard feature. These mats absorb shock from both tiny vibrations as well as larger bumps for a noticeably improved riding experience. If you spend hours riding, feel pain with movement, or want the benefits of increased sight lines (i.e. an additional 25m of rider height), then Comfort Mats are the best choice.